45 Vegan Christmas Cookie recipes for all your holiday get-togethers this year. From gingerbread to chocolate crinkle cookies, to eggnog thumbprints, you'll find a cookie for every occasion.
With Thanksgiving behind us, it's finally...time for some Christmas cookie baking!
Ah, the most wonderful time of the year!
I LOVE Christmas cookies. For one, cookies make perfect DIY holiday gifts. Just grab a few of these cardboard holiday boxes (<<affiliate link) from Amazon and you have ready-made gifts for all your friends and family!
Equally important, Christmas cookies are a necessary part of every good holiday tradition. Throughout the season, from decorating the Christmas tree to caroling to cozying in and watching Christmas movies, all your festive activities ought to include some delicious homemade vegan Christmas cookies.
My tradition starts the weekend after Thanksgiving. I start baking up a storm and storing the cookies in my freezer for the coming month.
Recommended Kitchen Equipment
If you don’t have a stand-up mixer in your kitchen, I highly recommend one. I have had mine for 15 years. I use in nearly weekly and it’s never once given me a problem. It makes baking SO much easier and it comes with so many attachments, I can make every kind of Christmas cookie simply by flipping a switch. (<<affiliate link)
In addition, you will need basic cooking equipment including a baking sheets, silicone baking mats, and a wire cooling rack. (<<affiliate links)
Check out the full list of my recommended kitchen tools and gadgets so that you can be fully equipped this year. In this guide you will find my favorite whisks, mixing bowls, cake pans, silicone baking mats, and everything else you need to be a prepared baker.
Vegan Christmas Cookie Recipes
Vegan Chocolate Christmas Cookies
Chocolate cookies will always be among my favorite. There is something so unspeakably delicious about a sweet and slightly bitter chocolate Christmas cookie. Among my favorites are Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (or, should I say, Chocolate Crack Cookies) and my newest addition to my Christmas cookie collection, these Salted Chocolate Rosemary Cookies.
A few more of my favorite vegan chocolate cookies are:
- Chocolate Crinkle Cookies (FAN-FAVORITE!!!)
- Chocolate Mint Wafer Cookies
- Chewy Double Chocolate Cookies
- Triple Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
- Salted Chocolate Rosemary Cookies
- Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookies
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Reindeer Cookies [Fork & Beans]
- Candy Cane Crunch Cookies [Strength and Sunshine]
Vegan Spiced Christmas Cookies
For the holidays, I love a good spiced cookie. What is more comforting than a shortbread or biscuit cookie filled with cinnamon and nutmeg spices? Make sure to try my Chewy Molasses Cookies and my fan-favorite Pumpkin Chai Snickerdoodles.
More perfectly spiced holiday cookies include:
- Classic Gingerbread People (pictured above)
- Chewy Molasses Cookies
- Coconut Butter Gingersnaps [The Vegan 8]
- Orange Cinnamon Christmas Cookies [Vegan Haven]
- Gingersnap Sandwich Cookies [Petite Allergy Treats]
- Oatmeal Raisin Pecan Cookies [Veggies Don't Bite]
- Nutcracker Cookies [Oh She Glows]
- Almond Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies [Two Peas and Their Pod]
- Raw Vegan Oatmeal Cookies [Well and Full]
Shortbread and Sugar Cookies
Who doesn't love a good shortbread cookie around the holidays? Buttery, melt-in-your-mouth goodness; it's hard to beat! I always make sure to have a batch of Hazelnut Sandies (aka Snowball Cookies, aka Mexican Wedding Cookies, aka Russian Tea Cakes) and Vegan Sugar Cookies on hand at all times.
A few more must-try shortbread and sugar cookie recipes:
- Vegan Sugar Cookies (Pictured Above)
- Chocolate-Dipped Rosemary Shortbread Cookies
- Fluffy Vegan Sugar Cookies
- Almond Shortbread Cookies [Love and Lemons]
- Gluten-free Cinnamon Sugar Cookies [Veggie Inspired]
- Almond Crescent Cookies [Unconventional Baker]
- Vegan Danish Butter Cookies [Wallflower Kitchen]
- Amaretto Snowballs [Pure Ella]
- Pecan Pie Shortbread Cookies [The Unconventional Baker]
Thumbprint and Decorative Cookies
There's nothing like getting a little fancy around the holidays. So let's make our cookies festive with some creative baking flare! Make sure to try out my Eggnog Cheesecake Thumbprint Cookies (they will surely impress!) and these Pecan Pie Cookies. It's pecan pie in cookie form!
More decorative cookies to try out:
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Chocolate Candycane Sandwich Cookies [Hot For Food]
- Salted Caramel Thumbprint Cookies [The Bakerita]
- Coconut Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies [Namley Marly]
- Chocolate Biscoff Pinwheels [Vegan Yack Attack]
Bars, Biscotti, and Bark
What's Christmas without some bars, biscotti, and chocolate bark? Perhaps not technically cookies, these holiday candy is a must-have this time of year. Whip up a batch of my 3-Ingredient Chocolate Truffles and Old-Fashioned Peanut Brittle give them as a homemade food gift to the people you love.
But don't forget to also check out these festive confections:
- Chocolate Peppermint Brownies
- Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles [Jasmin Cookbook]
- Vegan Peppermint Patties [Veggie Balance]
- Carmelita Bars [Happy Healthy Mama]
- Christmas Sprinkle Cookie Dough Bites [Namely Marly]
More Holiday Roundups
Make sure to check out all of my vegan holiday recipes including:
And get my FREE Christmas Cookie ebook by signing up for the MDV newsletter!
Written by Sarah McMinn
Might I buy a digital book with all the holiday recipes in it?
Joshua Howard says
Wow! Thank you for these ideas! All the recipes are perfect for Christmas! I'll definitely give them a try
paula rothman says
isa did not really list her recipe. do you have the recipe for the rosemary cc cookies. video looks great, but no amts listed
Thanks for letting me know. I will swap it out with another rosemary cookie recipe!
paula rothman says
i did search the net and found it, fyi
Hi Sarah! I just came across your lovely blog... I was intrigued by freezing the cookies for such a long time! How do you do that? Thank you!
If the cookies are in an airtight container, they should be fine in the freezer. However, the best way to freezer cookies is to shape the dough into balls and freeze them tightly wrapped. Then when you're ready to bake them, you can pop them in and they will taste like fresh cookies!
Any chance you can specify which of these recipes are gluten-free? It would be great for us GF people!
After a quick glance, I'm not sure if any of them are but most of them could be made with a 1:1 gf flour blend, like Bob's Red Mill.
Looking forward to making some of these for my friends who keep asking 'where's the cake?' ??