This Vegan Breakfast Bowl with Tofu and Kale has everything you need - protein, healthy fats, and the best superfoods to energize you and keep you going all day long.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
If you’ve been around for a while then you know I love a good tofu scramble. In fact, if I had to eat just one meal for the rest of my life, I’m 99% certain that I would choose a tofu scramble. With so many variations, there are endless options when it comes to this godsend of a savory breakfast. And no matter how you flavor it, it’s going to give you a hearty, protein and veggie-packed meal that will fuel you up for hours. Tofu scramble, I love you!
On this blog, I’ve already shared a few of my favorite recipes. There are the Mexican Tofu Scramble and Greek Tofu Scramble recipes as well as my Easy Vegan Scrambled “Eggs“. These are all recipes I love, but truth be told, since last summer when I was on my zucchini kick this Zucchini and Corn Tofu Scramble recipe is all I’ve been eating.
Today, I'm making a variation of the tofu scramble. It's my 30-Day Cleanse Vegan Breakfast Bowl.
This has been my go-to breakfast/brunch for months. I probably eat this tofu bowl (or a variation on this), at least 2 times a week. It is hearty, wholesome, filling, wonderfully delicious, and I think you're going to love it, too. So, come on in, take a seat, and let's talk Vegan Breakfast Bowl.
How to Make Tofu Breakfast Bowl
Step One - Make the Tofu
The first step in this recipe is making that perfectly crispy tofu. Quick recap: high-quality tofu, HOT cast iron pan, lots of oil. Got it? Great! Once the tofu is perfectly crispy, we are going to toss it with one of my favorite superfoods - nutritional yeast - for that cheesy, nutty flavor that we all know and love.
Best tofu for Tofu Breakfast Bowl
For this recipe, look for extra-firm tofu that is not water-packed, such as Trader Joe’s High-Protein Tofu or Super Firm or Sprouted Tofu. These types of tofu do not have excess water and do not need to be pressed.
If you have to use water-packed tofu make sure to press as much water as you can out of it first by using a tofu press or a weighted, towel-lined cutting board. Press the tofu for at least 1 hour.
Step Two - Chop and Sauté the Kale
Okay, the tofu is sautéing, so let's chop up that fresh kale. While we chop, I wanna talk about some of the amazing benefits of kale.
AMAZING BENEFITS OF KALE
One cup of kale has:
- Over 100% of your daily vitamins A, C, and K
- 3 grams of protein
- A significant intake of potassium, calcium, and folate
- 2.5 grams of fiber
And kale is loaded with powerful antioxidant and beta-carotene. That's why I love to start my day off with as much of these dark leafy greens as possible.
You could also use swiss chard or spinach, which are also full of healthful benefits if you prefer.
Step three - Assemble the Bowl
The rest of this bowl is kinda up to you. I like to add my Quick Pickled Cabbage, which I almost always have on hand, a bit of Lemony Cashew Cream, as well as anything else I can think of to sprinkle on top - nutritional yeast, hemp hearts, red pepper flakes, chopped radishes. Pretty much anything goes.
It's the everything-but-the-kitchen-sink of breakfast bowls.
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR MAKING THE PERFECT TOFU BOWL
Friends, I have been making tofu bowls for a long time and here are a few of the tips I’ve picked up from the years.
- Use extra-firm, vacuum-packed tofu for a chewy meat-like texture.
- I have tried this with many different vegetables. Two of my favorite variations are adding mushrooms or swapping in spinach for kale.
- Make sure to follow these instructions on how to make perfectly crispy tofu every time.
- For a more eggy flavor, add a pinch of black salt to the tofu.
- Serve with vegan parmesan, nutritional yeast, and hemp hearts.
- This breakfast bowl should be served immediately. Leftover tofu can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
OTHER SAVORY TOFU RECIPES
- Mexican Tofu Scramble
- Rancheros Tofu Scramble
- Spinach and Mushroom Tofu Scramble
- Greek Tofu Scramble
- Southwest Tofu Scramble
Are you ready to give my go-to tofu scramble a try? Let’s take a look at the recipe below.
Vegan Breakfast Bowl
Tofu Kale Scramble
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil and let it melt.
- Cut tofu in ¾" cubes and sprinkle with salt. Once the oil is very hot, add tofu. The tofu should sizzle when dropped in the pan. Sauté for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tofu is crispy on all sides. Sprinkle in nutritional yeast and toss to coat.
- Add chopped kale and lower heat. You made need to add 1-2 tablespoon of water at this point to help the kale cook down. Stir occasionally until kale is wilted.
- Transfer to a bowl and top with Quick Pickled Cabbage and toppings of your choice. Serve immediately.